Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The joys of feeding an almost 6 month old

I tend to go in spurts as far as cooking is concerned. I'll have a run where I am ambitious and want to try new things, and fill up my freezer, etc. I'm in the middle of one of those runs right now. I've kind of been swept up with the Desperately Delicious book and have started pureeing and packaging my way to a full freezer of healthy food! I figured I was making food for Matthew already, so why not just puree more and save it in bigger chunks for me to use in recipes. I've decided I'm going to work my way through that entire book because it just seems too good to be true. You mean, you can hide vegetables in recipes and they'll actually still taste good.

So, I tried my very first recipe from the book ~ Applesauce muffins. Except they also contain butternut squash in them... sneaky hey! And you know what? They're pretty darn good! I was actually quite surprised. And the book is right. If I didn't tell you, there's no way you'd know I had squash in the batter.

Oh, and by the way, thank goodness the food strike is over. Matthew has happily ate his squash and his carrots for the last two days. I am beginning to get a picture of what the next ??? years of my life are going to be like. "today I like this... tomorrow I don't..."

Matthew's new game is blowing raspberry kisses. You know, where you put your lips together and blow and it makes a funny noise... like "pppppppppp" (that's all I could come up with to describe it). Yesterday and today, he's been doing it constantly and he thinks it's quite funny when you do it to him as well.

At lunch today, he decided to do that while he had a mouthful of carrots. Need I say more? Laughing baby. Mommy covered in carrots. I'm sure that's nothing though. There's got to be worse to come!

Lunch time is starting to be quite a game in our house as well! I try feed Matthew with the spoon. Matthew wants to grab the spoon. Mommy takes the spoon away. Matthew cries. Mommy gives Matthew the spoon back. Matthew laughs. 6 months old and alreay he knows how to get what he wants! Eventually, Mommy had to take the spoon away for good. Matthew cried. But only for 30 seconds, then he was onto something else. Ah hah! Mommy's onto him :O)

No comments: