Tuesday, July 3, 2007

I'm a Westjetter!

(By Matthew James)

Last week, I took a vacation to see my all my grandparents, aunts and cousins! Mommy took me on the plane. Every time someone heard that I was only 7 weeks old, they would say "oh, poor thing!", but I was having the time of my life (keep in mind I've only been to the doctor and grocery store otherwise, so this was pretty exciting!)

First, Mommy had to wake me up really early. I think she set her alarm clock for 5am, but of course, I made her get up to feed me at 4am, so I think she just got up then. Then Daddy had to fit all of our luggage into the car! Mommy took two big suitcases and one was completely filled with all of my toys and blankets, wasn't I lucky! The other had mostly my clothes and stuff and I think Mommy was able to fit in a few things of her own to wear.

We got to the airport nice and early and stood in line at the ticket counter. I was excited to see this new place, so I wasn't sleeping! Mommy got our plane tickets and was grumbling something about them not even asking to see my birth certificate. Mommy went to great lengths to get me one in time for the flight because the people at Westjet told her I needed one. They even said that she had to bring the big certificate, not the little one, and so Mommy and Daddy were careful to put it in a ziploc bag and inbetween a book so that it wouldn't get wrecked. And then they didn't even ask to see it!

Mommy did her first diaper change in a public washroom! I was nice to her and only had a wet diaper.

We had to say goodbye to Daddy at the security gate. Mommy and I were sad to leave him but we knew he was coming on the weekend. He waited at the gate and waved to us. When we got to the security line, the nice lady told Mommy that I had to come out of my carseat, everything had to come out of my stroller and Mommy had to take the care seat out of the stroller. And, she had to take her jacket off and take the camera out and take my diaper bag out. She had to do all of this while holding me with one arm! Mommy didn't have a happy look on her face. The carseat got stuck in the stroller and some nice man behind us tried to help us out but even he couldn't get it out. Then the nice security man took my stroller behind the counter and he ripped it into two pieces! Then they were turning it upside down and rubbing a funny brush on it. What did they think I was hiding in my stroller? Luckly, another nice security man helped Mommy put the carseat back in the stroller so Mommy could put me back in it!

When we got on the plane, I was a little scared so I cried a bit, but Mommy gave me some milk and I decided to go to sleep. I got soooo comfortable that I missed the entire plane ride! I didn't even wake up when the plane took off or landed! I only jumped once when the airplane man started singing over the intercom. I think the lady who sat beside my Mommy was happy that I slept all the way too!

Here is a picture of my Mommy and me when we landed in Saskatoon. Mommy is happy because I'm not screaming like the other 7 babies on the plane and I'm still happily sleeping away!

Mommy will tell you more about our trip to Saskatoon later, but she wanted to get something posted on my blog soon so that you all knew we made it home safe and sound!
Talk to you soon....

Love,
Matthew

No comments: