Friday, July 20, 2007

All Thumbs...

Matthew found his thumbs two days ago... well, actually only his right thumb. And since then, I haven't been able to pull it out of his mouth! I was going to write and ask all of the moms out there to advise me on the thumb sucking issue.... Darren and I were discussing whether it's better to let him suck his thumb or give him a soother? I've heard/read pros and cons for each. I think we'll just let him have the thumb for now because he's already got it in his mouth before I can even reach for a soother.

My little boy is turning into exactly that, a little boy! He must be having another growth spurt, because he has been eating like crazy for the last few nights. Tonight it was bottle, breast, breast, bottle (all in the span of 3 hours or so!) Some days he just doesn't want to nap and today was one of them, so of course, he was exhausted by tonight. He fell asleep around 9pm, but I think I'll wake him to eat around 11 so that he sleeps until 3 or 4. I know.... I'm being selfish, but he just started to sleep 5 hours straight and I much prefer getting up only at 3 am to 12am, 3am and 6am!

Today we had our first physio appointment. We came home with a list of exercises to do and were told that "his world is on his left side"... so everything we do, we are supposed to keep encouraging him to look only to his left. Uh huh, that simple eh? Hopefully, the exercises are supposed to strengthen his neck muscles so that he doesn't favour one side over the other and then will sleep on his left side thus relieving the right side... oh, paranoid mother I am.... I just don't want him to have to have to wear a helmet!

Otherwise, he is thriving! Just today he actually held a rattle in his hand and shook it by himself! (He also hit himself in the head, but hey, it's a start!) He is still smiling up a storm and I must admit, I love taking him out in the morning when he's so happy because everywhere I go, I hear "oh look at the cute baby" or "oh, look the baby's smiling!"..... I remind myself every day how lucky I am to have such a perfect little boy (flat head and all) :O)

Take care,
Erin

No comments: