Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday? Grilled Chicken and Stir-Fried Veggies!

Those of you who don't read Shan's blog aren't familiar with What's Cooking Wednesday. You should check it out! There are lots of great ideas there!

This is my first attempt at posting for What's Cooking Wednesday... The recipe comes from "Dieticians of Canada cook great food"... one of my favourite cookbooks. Recipe is tweaked by me of course, because I don't think I have ever followed a recipe to the tee in my life!

Grilled Chicken and Stir-Fried Veggies (tweaked)



4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
4 stalks celery*
1 large onion*
1 each medium green and red bell pepper*
1 medium carrot*
1 1/2 tsp each ground cumin and chili powder
1 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 c chicken broth
1.5 c brown or white rice.

** you can really use whatever veggies you want. I used zucchini, orange pepper, onion and snow peas because that's what I happened to have!

Cook rice as per your usual method. Set aside.

Using meat mallet, pound chicken between wax paper to 3/8" or so thickness. Place chicken in glass dish, pour lime juice and soy sauce over. Toss to coat. Marinate for 1/2 hour or so.

Meanwhile, cut up all of your veggies to similar sizes. You should have about 6-8 cups worth. Combine vegetables with cumin, chili powder and lemon pepper. Set aside.

Broil or BBQ chicken until cooked through.

Meanwhile, in large skillet, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, cook veggies, stirring until hot. Stir in Chicken broth, cook until veggies are tender, about 8 minutes.

Serve veggies and chicken (sliced) over rice.

~ Darren and I both liked this recipe. Matthew as so, so. The original recipe called for twice as much lime juice as I show above and so the chicken was very lime tasting. This recipe is really great for leftovers the next day though! Definitely something I'll try again.

1 comment:

Shan said...

Welcome to What's Cooking Wednesday!! I love this recipe! Yum!