Sunday, December 30, 2007

We're Home, Safe and Sound!

Gee, I haven't blogged for a while, have I? Well, brace yourselves, this could be a long one!

We had a wonderful Christmas. Christmas was spent in Saskatoon with Grandma and Grandpa and the rest of our families. Matthew was spoiled like crazy. He got just about everything he could have asked for and can you guess what his favourite present was? It wasn't even his. He was most excited about the cat toy that Yodi got.. go figure!

We started our vacation on the Saturday before Christmas. We drove to Saskatoon. We had attempted to leave reaallllly early (like 5 am), but of course, there is always something that doesn't go the way you planned. We bought Matthew a new car seat before the trip and Daddy didn't have time to install it until the night before. Let's just say he spent a good part of that night trying to get it to install properly! Anyhow, we left the city about 7:30am. The only picture I had in my mind was that of the Griswalds leaving for Christmas Vacation. We were packed to the top. Thank goodness for the SUV. I don't know how we could have made the trip with the car!

Matthew actually started opening his presents a few days before Christmas because he had just a few more than everybody else ;o)

On Christmas Eve, we had our traditional Ukrainian supper. Matthew even got to try some dishes. He had borscht, fish, Perogy filling and cabbage roll filling!

He even put out milk and cookies for Santa. Mommy wanted to take a picture of him on the table with the milk and cookies. Before Mommy could snap the picture, he had marshmallow all over his hands and the milk was all over the presents under the tree. oops...

Christmas day was a lot of fun. We opened presents in the morning and visited with Nan in the afternoon. Christmas dinner was at Grandma's house. Matthew was a pretty tuckered out little boy by the end of the day.

On Saturday, we flew home to Calgary. Daddy had to drive back to Calgary on boxing day. Our flight home was only supposed to be 53 minutes, but we spent almost 2 1/2 hours on the plane. I have flown with Matthew quite a few times already, but after this trip I think driving might actually be less stressful! Matthew was very good considering he missed his morning nap and we were crammed in like sardines on the plane. There wasn't an inch of free space and of course, they always stick the babies right at the back. The lady next to me was thankfully very nice and said that she has 3 kids, so she knows all about travelling with them.

You see, this time, Matthew wanted to grab EVERYTHING. Grab the seat in front. Grab the ladies hair in front. Reach for the airsick bag. Try to pull down the blinds on the window. Take Mommy's seatbelt off. Grab at the ladies book next to you. But don't show one bit of interest in any of the 50 toys Mommy brought along!
We probably sat for almost an hour on the plane before we actually took off. This is the hardest part because it's just like being in a car that isn't moving. If it's not moving, he has no interest in staying put! He fell asleep as we were taxying and took off, but woke up about 5 minutes into the flight.

We had TV's on our plane so I was able to entertain him 5 minutes at a time with whatever show was on Treehouse. Did I mention Treehouse is my favourite channel? This is from the mom who wasn't going to let her kid watch ANY tv. Anyway, more about that another day.

I ordered apple juice for a drink (lucky me) and Matthew was quite enthused to take sips from my cup and then play with the cup for about 15 minutes. But, I realized, no more bits and bites as you can guess who would want to eat them all!

All in all, I guess he was pretty good. Both of the people next to us commented that he did great on the flight. I'm pretty sure they were being sincere too ;o)

So, now that I am home, I have turned into a clean freak. This is because my dear little Matthew has learned to do 2 things since we left a week ago. (1) All of a sudden EVERY THING in the house has become interesting for him and he HAS to touch it. I mean everything from a crumb on the floor to the newspaper to the cats dish, to the cardboard box, to the fireplace has suddenly become exciting! It's like he never noticed any of these things before.

and........ (2) My Baby can Crawl!!!!!! Lord help me, I'm in for it now! I know all you moms said that life would be different when he starts to move, but I guess you just have to experience it to really get it! So, now, not only is everything very, very interesting, but he will try his darndest to get over there to see what it is. The little monkey even thinks he can pull him self up although thankfully he cannot do this yet. When he gets to something he wants to stand by, he starts to whine until you come and pick him up!

Tonight after his bath, I was putting on some lotion and his pj's like I do every night. I put the bottle on the corner of the crib up high, thinking it was safe because I know better than to leave it in the crib. Well! He rolled over, got on all fours and was reaching up as high as he could to see if he could get that bottle down. Boy, did he want that bottle! Oh, and I used to bath him and set him on the floor on a towel to get dried off. Well, he now discovered the door stop makes a funny noise and will fight you tooth and nail to be able to get over there!

I spent my Christmas money today. I don't think I've ever been so excited about a Christmas present before.... my purchase? A Bissell Steam Mop. I tell you, this has got to be the greatest invention on earth! It cleans floors likety split (actually takes stuck on stuff off faster than scrubbing or with a regular mop) and is chemical free. What every new mom wants to hear!

So, in all my spare time from now on, there's a good chance you'll find me somewhere in the house, sanitizing my floor ;o)

No comments: