Monday, April 14, 2008

The First "boys weekend"

So this past weekend I headed off to Vancouver with some of my girlfriends from the coast. I had been looking forward to it for months since it's been almost 2 years since I've seen most of them and I missed the yearly "GONE" (aka Girls Only No Exceptions) weekend last year. The thing was, this was my first experience away from Matthew though, so at the same time I was getting excited to go, the thought of leaving him was pulling at my heartstrings a bit.

I left last Thursday amidst the craziest snowstorm I've seen in Calgary yet. Just as we were getting ready to go to the airport, Westjet's website claimed my flight was not going to leave until 10:45 p.m. at night, 4 hours late. I was quite upset by this, thinking I was going to miss the first evening with the girls. Good thing Darren checked 1 more time because not 20 minutes later, the website said it was back on track... oh crap! So we threw everything in the car, buckled Matthew in and headed down Deerfoot in traffic... and round 2 of the snowstorm.

Running just a little late, I suggested that Daddy and Matthew just drop me off and don't bother coming in. (Secretly, this was easier on Mommy than having to prolong the goodbye any more than I had to). So, with very teary eyes, I kissed them both goodbye and off I went.

Luckily, being back with my friends, getting to have fun in Vegas and getting a break to be "on my own" made it not that hard to be away! A few text messages back and forth and a few phone calls and everything was great! I was ready to come home by Sunday morning, but honestly had a really nice break in between.

It sounded like Daddy and Matthew had an absolute blast at home! Of course, my house looked a bit like a tornado went through it... but as Daddy said to me "I was only getting into the routine, if you'd have stayed a few days longer, I'd have been able to get everything cleaned up!" sure, sure! I didn't mind though. I was glad that Daddy and Matthew finally got to spend a lot of quality time together.

Apparently, their days were filled with a few trips to the "guy stores" (probably Future Shop and Golf Town)... some time outside... lots of time playing.... and some time to watch the Masters. Daddy bought Matthew his first set of golf clubs for the occasion. I think he spent most of the weekend trying to get him to swing at a ball so that he could amaze me when I got home. It was not to be, but Matthew sure is interested in pulling the clubs out of the little plastic golf bag that came with them..... and then banging the TV with them! Daddy may change his mind about playing with golf clubs in the house in a few months when Matthew can actually stand and swing them!

I returned Sunday and couldn't wait to see Matthew waiting with outstretched arms..... except instead he played shy with his own Mommy and didn't want to come to me at first. Luckily, this only lasted a few minutes and there were little smiles poking out of the corners of his mouth the whole time. A few big hugs and kisses and everything was back to normal :O)

No comments: