Sunday, April 20, 2008

Diaper Wars

The baby manual didn't mention that when your child turns near the age of 1, they may decide that they are no longer required to lay on their backs in order to have their diapers changed!

My child has decided that he will only lay happily on his stomach, or stand on the diaper table and that with almost 1 year of diaper changing experience, I should be able to put on a diaper from any angle!

As soon as you lay him on his back, he immediately flips to his stomach where he lays happily. I will admit, sometimes this makes bum cleaning easier, but I have yet to master the art of putting a diaper on an upside down baby.

Standing up is even worse. Sometimes I have to call in reinforcements. It takes Daddy to act like a three ring circus and entertain Matthew and Mommy to work feverishly to get the diaper duty done in 5 seconds flat. That is because even Daddy cannot keep him on his back for very long.

And don't think that I could just put that cute little strap that comes with the diaper pad across his tummy and he'll lay flat. Already tried that. Somehow the stomach area stayed up but the bum and head areas still twisted. Not a good idea.

Then today I gave him the bottle of baby oil spray stuff, which he happily began to shake and shake to his hearts content. You've got to be kidding. I've tried every toy, rattle, cloth, book, you name it, that I could think of... and all he wanted was a bottle of liquid to shake!

.. I guess it is true that they always keep you guessing ;o)

1 comment:

Merry said...

Evan will only lay still if I give him one of his shoes to play with. They love to keep us guessing!