Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Adventure #2: Remember Vancouver?

As I said before, I was itching to go back to Vancouver. It had been three years since we'd been there and I couldn't wait to get back!

It was so surreal to go back. It was like being blasted into the past. Seems like nothing has changed in 3 years. And the strange thing is, you almost feel like a different person as soon as you get there... like the self you left behind comes back!

The first thing we found out that we had forgotten was how crazy the traffic is there! That is one thing that has surely made me thank-ful that we moved to Calgary. I don't ever want to hear anyone complain about the Deerfoot traffic again. I don't know about any of you on the east coast, but unless you've driven through Vancouver on a regular basis, you are not allowed to complain about the traffic in Calgary! Let me just paint the picture. It was bumper to bumper on every single road we took from Richmond through to Coquitlam. . And it was only a SATURDAY afternoon. Yikes! Most of it, I think, is due to the skytrain expansion that they are putting in in time for the Olympics.

I also forgot how closterphobic I immediately get when I go back! I must have gotten used to it over the time we lived there, but all I could think about when we first got there was how many trees there are and how all the bushes seems to be growing over everything! Ah... but is is soooo green. I love green. Vancouver has the kind of green I love, Calgary sure doesn't!

Our first stop was at Bentei Sushi. Darren has been talking about this place for the last 3 months. We used to frequent there, at least 2-3 times per week, and as Darren puts it "the sushi in Calgary just doesn't compare". So, we picked up some sushi and some groceries and checked into our hotel.

About 7 or so we decided to put Matthew to bad considering it was such an eventful day and although he had about a 45 min nap in the car, it probably wasn't enough. He wouldn't have anything to do with the playpen. Stood up and gave his loudest wail of a cry that he could! This went on for a few minutes and I was worried that being a Saturday night, the hotel was actually full and we might get a complaint about his crying. I even told Darren that we need to pretend we're sleeping in the bed beside him, but that didn't work either.

So we brought him into the bed with us and both pretended to fall asleep.... er... we both FELL ASLEEP....... actually all 3 of us fell asleep..... until 6 am the next morning. Gosh, we must have been tired!

No comments: