Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Adventure #1: Thank God for Bits and Bites......

The few days leading up to our vacation were crazy as usual... somehow, no matter what, I always end up running around at the last minute getting or packing this or that. This time I told myself it was going to be different! I made lists weeks before we went... I got out our luggage weeks before we went... I even started to put things in the luggage weeks before we went... and yet, I still ended up packing a lot on the Friday before we went.

Matthew and I cheated coming out to the coast. We made Daddy drive our truck out and we flew. Actually, it was Daddy's idea in the first place, so we didn't feel too bad. We couldn't afford two days to get out here and I didn't want to drive overnight through the mountains, so we compromised on letting Daddy leave early in the morning, which he loves to do... drive straight through with a few 2 minute pit stops (which is the way he likes to drive and there was nooooo way that was going to happen with Matthew) and we would meet him in Vancouver.

It went pretty close to as planned.. except that I couldn't sleep the night before, so I probably got about 2 hours.

On Saturday morning, our neighbour Erin drove us to the airport and Matthew was in a great mood! We cleared security with no problems... (that one is always fun when you're juggling a few jackets, a few bags, a blankie, a stroller and a child all while still holding your boarding ticket for the nice man to check over)... I had an entire bag of snacks and drinks, so I thought they'd might want to take a peek in that one, but they let us through with no questions asked. Heck, I even went through with my housekey in my pocket and it never beeped... hmmm.. gotta love our security systems.

Waiting for the plane was lots of fun because Matthew thought that the little "trains" (aka baggage carts) whirring around in circles outside were quite funny. I also thought it was remarkable that he pointed at the planes and said his version of airplane since he'd never seen one in the ground in person before. He's good at pointing to them in the sky, but I guess he does really remember things that we look at in books!

This was the first trip where Matthew got to walk onto the plane all by himself! He proudly walked across the bridge to the plane and all the way down the aisle... right to the back of the plane! "Matthew!! Stop! Our seat is over here!!!" Thank goodness the flight attendants are so nice on Westjet flights :O)

So, we took our seats and enjoyed watching out of the plane window as other planes came and went. Unfortunately, the flight was full and of course, we were seated beside some 20 year old guy who didn't look all too thrilled to have a 15 month old seated beside him who figured that the man's blackberry should belong to him as well!

We had no problems with take-off or landing, which was a relief. I kind of thought at one point Matthew might nap because he hadn't up to this point (it was already 1 pm) and he's usually done his nap by this point.

Then the fun started.

Matthew discovered that the tray goes up and down and that if you bang it against the seat in front of you it makes lots of noise! There was a little boy seated in front of us, so he didn't much mind what Matthew was doing, but again, not sure if the guy next to us was appreciative of Matthew's new game.

We get into the flight probably 10 minutes and ... ew.... what is that.... Oh, Matthew, did you have to POOP YOUR PANTS ON THE PLANE!!!! We've taken probably 8 or 10 flights with Matthew already and he's never once pooped on the plane. Great. Well, first time for everything!

So, we nicely ask the man beside us and the lady if they could move and I say, "believe me, you'll be happy that we don't linger here for long".... we get to the back of the plane and into the teeny tiny bathroom (which does actually have a change table) and change the diaper. No big deal. Phew. Ok. we put the stinky blue bag in the back where the flight attendants tell us and make our way back to the seat. We ask the people to excuse us again and we get back into our seats.

At this time, the flight attendants are bringing around the snacks. She asks me what I want and I say "apple juice please". Long gone are the days of having cran and soda or gingerale or whatever I want. Nope, now it's just apple juice. "do you want a little glass of juice for him?", she says? "uh, no thank-you. We'll share. That's the last thing I need is for him to have his own glass in our 2 foot space.

So then we enjoy our apple juice and our little bag of bits and bites, one at a time, for the next 20 minutes. Ahhh... peace and quite.

We continue on our flight for probably another half hour and then.... hm... I think.. no... "oh Matthew.. you POOPED AGAIN??????" By this time, the package of wipes had been thrown under the seat by Matthew (oh, did I forget that part) and so I had to go into this one with only a diaper and the kleenex in the bathroom. Again, we made it through, although I probably emptied most of the kleenex in the bathroom!

Finally, we made it to the ground... we made it through the airport and we made it to Daddy! As we were 10 seconds into our drive away from the airport, I said to Darren.. "well, he didn't nap today so I bet he ..." and as I turned around, he was already sleeping :O)

No comments: